Thursday, September 10, 2009

Here!

As I type this, I am sitting on my bed in my room at Banbury Road. I've claimed the area between the fireplace and the chest of drawers. To my right is a panel of tall windows with a four-person-length desk in front of it. To my left is the bathroom. This room is awesome! And huge. We were definitely taken aback by the spaciousness when we first walked in.

The flight was bumpy and generally unpleasant, except for the fact that I got to sit next to the most adorable 10-year-old British girl. She told me all about her favorite animals (guinea pigs, dogs, tigers, rabbits - well, basically every species that ever existed, she was a true animal lover!). She also proudly showed off her Build-A-Bear creation.
She kept getting frightened by the turbulence, and I have to say that I was a bit unnerved by it myself, and I'm usually not one to be scared on flights.

After the flight, we congregated together and got all our baggage. Some people packed at least twice what I did, so now I'm nervous that I've forgotten all sorts of vital things.

We then trumped onto the bus with a collective heave of exhaustion, stayed basically silent for the 2 hour drive from London to Oxford, and only perked up when we saw that we were on Banbury Road. Since we've arrived at the house, we've each recieved 50 pounds as initial grocery funds. Our house orientation is at 6, so we have some free time.

Our class schedule is up in the rooms. I'm a bit scared for my Modern Irish Literature tutorial, because I'm the only one in it. Granted, having only a few people or even a single student per class is normal for Oxford, but it's still intimidating. Just me, and a professor from one of the most lauded universities on the planet grilling me about the assignments.

Hope I'm ready for this.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Sweetheart, you are SO ready for this! I know it is hard not to be intimidated by the mere fact of where you are, but think about where you are - OXFORD! You have to be pretty darn good at what you do to even get there. And I am continually amazed at your ability to grasp concepts and then put them down on paper in an intelligent, interesting way. Yes, this will be a challenge - but that brings growth.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got there safe and sound, how exciting. This is going to be so cool for you and will be a great experience. Study hard but also see the sights and enjoy the area. Lots of love from uncle Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. And on the way out the door, kick the professor from one of the mosted lauded universities on the planet right in the gonads and tell him your dad says, "hello". If you don't think that your old man wouldn't be proud of his little squirt for giving some pompous dude a quick shot to the cajones, then you're wrong. If you're not willing to do that, then I guess you'll have to buckle down and fulfill your dreams. We'll love you either way you decide to go.

    the dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mom and Uncle Wayne :)

    Dad...you're strange. Really, really strange. But I love you and thank you for your own weird brand of support.

    ReplyDelete