Saturday, September 12, 2009

Eyam, the Plague Village of Derbyshire

Today was our excursion today. We took the coach bus three hours to Eyam, a quaint little village famous for its plague story. It goes like this: A tailor recieved a bolt of cloth from plague-infected London, and because it was damp he ordered it to be dried over the fire. The fleas on the cloth spread about the house, infecting and killing the tailor swiftly.

The plague spread and people began to panic and leave, until William Mompesson (the rector) asked the villagers to quarantine themselves. They agreed. The villagers were completely cut off, and it was only by the grace of neighboring villagers who put food down a well at the outskirts of Eyam that they didn't starve. The Eyam residents repaid their kindness with coins soaked in vinegar to disinfect them.

Hundreds of Eyam villagers died, one right after the other, leaving the village decimated, but as a result of their sacrifice the plague was limited in that area of England; their plan to keep the plague quarantined had succeeded.
In other news, I had my very first scone for lunch today. It had raisins in it, and I put jam and butter on it. It was tastier than I thought it'd be.
Picture post to follow :)






3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, so that is the story. I can picture Frances telling you all about it. Yeah, I know she is not there, but I picture it that way nonetheless.
    It sounds as if you are having a great time so far. That is terrific.
    Still feel as if you didn't pack enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Squirt,

    Sounds like you're already having a great time there. I'm glad that it seems to be an easy transition for you. I know that you will do well, so don't sweat it (I am being completely honest when I tell you that you have more potential than anyone I have ever known). This is a great opportunity for you to decide out if you want to do Grad school there. Enjoy yourself, make new friends, take in the history of the place, but please be careful.

    the dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - I feel like I packed enough. I've had to buy some toiletries and a pay-as-you-go phone for texting within the group, but I feel prepared. And yeah, I am having a great time :)

    Dad - You're very flattering! But yes, I am being careful, have no fear.

    ReplyDelete