Sunday, September 13, 2009

Birthday Tomorrow!

My birthday is tomorrow, and people have been asking what I'd like. Well, the answer is, a cookie cake from Ben's! That place is amazing. If ever anyone who's reading this wants to go to Oxford some day, then I have to tell you that every single person on the trip with me recommends Ben's, a cookie shop in the Westgate Shopping Centre, because it serves the thickest, most delicious cookies in the world. We're all irredeemably addicted at this point.

What else would I like? To travel, of course. A few of us were musing at the kitchen table tonight, and I threw out Wales as a possible destination point. Elizabeth suggested Ireland and Manchester. Megan, one of my roomies, suggested Stonehenge. We decided that we need to go to a football (sorry, can't call it soccer) match. We're all really itching to go places, but at the same time we need to get on with our studies and make that our priority...sigh.

I will ride horses at some point, though! I don't care if it's polo or just a hack around the country, or even a damn foxhunt, I need to get on a horse. Seeing all these horses in the countryside makes me miss my mare. Elizabeth goes on foxhunts all the time, so if I do end up going on a hunt - it would have to a bloodless drag one, since the real kind is banned here, and since I don't really want to watch a fox get ripped to pieces - I'll tag along with her and she can show me the ropes. She says it's great fun, you pretty much just pray the horse knows what he's doing and don't get in his way over the scary immovable jumps (i.e. stone wall fencelines and ditches!). Am I a good enough rider to come along on a truly fast-paced hunt? Probably not, but I could maybe hang around the back of the group on an old plodder who'd take care of me or something. Or just tell them I'm the next Beezie Madden and pretend that I know what I'm doing....

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures...way to scare your mother. Talking about that view from the hill, and riding around during a fox hunt...sheesh!!
    I hope you have a wonderful birthday, sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should read my response to Dad's email as well? It's basically an assurance that I'm keeping my common sense about me, and that I was kidding about pretending to be a really great rider to get in on a hunt. If, by some miracle, I do manage to locate, book, and participate in one, I would take the alternate routes with less intimidating jumps (you can do that, not everyone has to be absurdly brave as I understand it). Or I'll just not go on a hunt at all; I'd actually prefer some really quiet hack where you can enjoy the scenery a little more. You guys should worry less :) Glad you liked the pictures, though!

    Thank you for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirt,
    Happy Birthday! I'm glad we had the chance to celebrate with you prior to leaving. Even though it is your first day of classes, I hope you manage to find some time to enjoy your 20th. Almost impossible to believe my little girl is no longer a teenager. How could we not worry about the most precious thing in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you are 20, I'm starting to feel really old. It seemed like just yesterday that you and Anna were running around getting into trouble. Oh wait, you two still are, your both just older now. but seriously everyone here wishes you a happy birthday and are very proud of you. Have fun (but not too much fun, Ha Ha). Lotsa love from Uncle Wayne

    ReplyDelete