Sunday, October 18, 2009

Scotland!

People were tentatively thinking of going to Scotland this week, and my tutorials end on Tuesday. So totally on a whim, I said "Can I come?" and before I knew it, I had planned and booked the trip with everyone!

I've been spending a LOT of money, and need to cut back, so I found a few ways to shave costs off this adventure. Three of the girls are taking a train to get in Wednesday, so they have the hostel booked for themselves Wednesday through Saturday, to leave Sunday morning. To cut costs, Gloria and I are taking the bus (taking off 50 pounds right there) overnight Wednesday, so we'll get there Thursday morning and not have to pay for the hostel on Wednesday night. We're also leaving Saturday night, to cut off another hostel expense. This also gives us Sunday and Wednesday as extra days to work on papers that the others don't get. Altogether we're probably scrimping 70 pounds.

We've booked one tour for Saturday, a tour of St. Andrews and surrounding fishing villages. Gloria, Tara and I also want to do something more "nature-y," so we're thinking of doing an additional tour on Thursday of Loch Ness and the Highland area. We'll see how that works out.

I'm so excited, Scotland and Wales were the two destinations I really wanted to get to on this trip (already seen a lot of the continent). Serena and Janie and I are going to discuss the Wales trip tomorrow. They're up for trekking on horseback, YES!

2 comments:

  1. Academics, adventures, and seeing new places are the reasons that you are there. As long as school remains your priority you do not need to worry so much about the costs. Although, I am happy to hear that you found a way to get two more days to work on your papers. When you visit Loch Ness and the Highlands, take copious notes. That is one of my future travel destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take lots of pictures/tons of notes for you :)

    ReplyDelete