Friday, October 9, 2009

Academic Workload Intensity: Code Red

I met with my Shakespeare don yesterday. She was lovely, very personable. She sorted our schedule out for us and printed copies. For the first 4 weeks I meet with her on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. This is going to be agonizing for me - we meet at Worcester college, which is about 30 minutes away, and that means I have to get up by 9, preferably closer to 8 so that I can eat breakfast and take a real shower. The last 4 weeks, we meet Wednesdays at 11 a.m. There are two other people in my group that will meet with her each week, which is quite a lot for tutorials; normally it's only 1 or 2 students per don.

Then I met with my Modern Irish Literature don today. I'm the only one in that tutorial. Our weekly meeting time is Mondays at 5 p.m. She was just as nice as my Shakespeare don, but she assigned my first paper for the first class - this Monday, meaning two days from now, and there's a ton of reading I have to do for it. I also have a two papers due tomorrow. Such is life here.

In other news, the Keble Bop is tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get to go.

2 comments:

  1. "Keble Bop" conjures all types of interesting images. I hope you get to go, and have some fun. If not, I know it will be because you are working to get done all that is needed. I am quite impressed with your skill and dedication. You do know that crew-type people usually do that sort of thing very early in the morning?
    I so enjoyed chatting with you this morning, and hearing your voice. Thank you for taking the time to do that.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squirt,
    You should at least stop by the Keble Bop, just to see what it's like. And remember, if it gets too hard ... just quit! It's fun for me to have a daughter that I can kid about failing to complete an academic goal, knowing full well that she would give up sleeping completely before she would miss an assignment. Be careful to not work yourself into exhaustion (I'm certain you have figured out that "prioritizing" is the key. Sometimes, due to time constraints, you simply cannot give 100% to every assignment). Your mother tells me that you're going to try rowing on a crew. Sounds fun. I'm very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete