Saturday, October 10, 2009

"If You're Going Through Hell, Keep on Going" - Rodney Atkins

That's what I'm doing, trying to run through hell.

My workload is bearing down on me like a pack of wolves, but all I need to do to escape is get through the next 12 hours - that's it, 12 hours! - and I'll be out free.

I'm sure every college student in the world can empathize with the feeling I have now, where you want to just give up but you keep yourself running on faith and caffeine. You believe that you can still get that A, even though your brain is so fried that not one word you're typing makes any sense to you. It's just that the feeling has been so intensified since coming to Oxford - because the stakes are higher, and the workload is larger.

I can now easily write a well-researched, focused, eloquent paper in 1 day flat. The trouble is that after doing that for so many weeks in a row, my mind is screaming for a break. My mental state is probably comparable right now to Amy Winehouse's - I'm just a hop-skip away from delirium. To convey how tired I am: I watched some clips from The Blair Witch Project to keep me awake, and I'm still falling asleep. In the dark. Alone.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to go have tea with people at an upscale restaurant. They serve cake and scones with clotted cream at teatime. Then I'll read some Joyce, and hopefully get to have a real conversation with Jordan (poor boy, I tried to talk to him tonight in my loopy state and wound up impersonating Rose from Titanic in an effort to provoke a game of charades).

Except, oh wait, I have a paper due Monday. Fortunately, my tutorial don reluctantly mentioned that the deadline could be pushed back in light of my schedule. I made it seem as if it didn't matter either way to me, but I should've said something to the effect of "Lady, you're crazy if you think I can turn in a paper on Monday." Either way, she's not getting a single damn paragraph out of me until Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Oxford! Still like the idea of completing your graduate degree there? Do your best and you will astound them, just as you have overwhelmed every professor who has ever had the pleasure of instructing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Celeste.
    I hope that you are feeling a little more sane today. As you say, it is just getting through it.
    How did the tea go?

    ReplyDelete