Saturday, October 3, 2009

Know how peanut butter in the States never goes bad?

The peanut butter here is all natural peanut butter. Meaning it's no Skippy, it's just crushed peanuts. The oil congregates en masse at the top of the jar and you have to stir it to make it look appetizing. It also apparently spoils in 5 or 6 days if you don't refridgerate it.

Ask me how I know this.

Yeah, I made a big, thick peanut butter sandwich last night, went back to working on my paper after I was done eating it, and within 20 minutes said "Well that feels odd..." Ten minutes after that I had projectile vomitted every single damn bit of peanut butter I'd eaten. Luckily I got to the bathroom in time, and even more luckily, no one was in the room to hear me crying and throwing up.

It's been an interesting few days. Two nights ago, Allie (one of my roomies) was finishing up a paper that she'd been working on for almost a week. She'd pulled an all-nighter the night before, so she was running very low on fuel. I came into the room, said "Hey," she turned and said "Hey" back - and then right in front of our eyes, her computer DIED. The screen changed to a fuzzy kaleidoscope of colors, then shut off...and it hasn't been able to be turned on since. Everything she had was on there. Her paper, the outline for the paper, the research for the paper....She bawled for a good long time, tried to call her mom and her boyfriend, and went out into the hallway to see if anyone knew anything about computers. No one could revive it. So she asked if she should try to re-do it (it was due the next day), and everyone said No, go to sleep Allie! So she went to bed and explained the situation to the professor the next day. He was a little skeptical but said it'd be fine if she turns it in Monday before 9 a.m.

In other news, my tattoo is doing wonderfully. It's slightly raised up, but it feels absolutely fine. It never bled, really. I'm taking religiously good care of it: Making sure to keep anything from rubbing it, cleaning it with fragrance-free soap, and putting ointment on it a few times a day to keep it from getting dry. The other girls are a little more cavalier about theirs, but we'll see who has the better-looking tattoo in 20 years!

Also, today will be a day of work (another paper due...), but there's definite talk of going to Bath tomorrow. It's only a 10 pound bus out there, 2 hours each way, which isn't bad at all. Should be a nice break and a good day trip. I'm pumped! If for some reason we can't get to Bath, we'll go to the Cotswolds instead. Lovely string of picturesque villages. I'm so glad we're finally getting out of Oxford. Don't get me wrong, I love this town, but it's really painful to have been so cooped up for so long.

Oh, and I got another paper back yesterday. A-. Everyone else got Bs, but sadly I'm such a grade snob that I was a tad disappointed. It's only because the first one I got back was an A, I swear!

1 comment:

  1. 1st - my poor baby! I hope that after you expelled all the disagreeable peanut stuff that you felt much better. We have that kind of peanut butter here in the States, too. I remember my Mom getting it a few times when I was growing up. I don't think that my brothers would touch it.
    2nd - that is HORRIBLE! So, you are saving things to a memory stick as you go along, right? I wonder if there wasn't a power surge...maybe you shouldn't leave your computer plugged in all the time. I can't imagine losing my laptop at this point.
    3rd - glad you are taking care of your tattoo. It would be crazy to go through the pain and then mess it up. (Know where I'm headed with this?) Email me!!
    I hope your paper is going well, so that you can take a little side trip tomorrow. Bath! That is one place that I think both of us would have liked to check out.
    Another A! Congratulations! Your Mama ignores the minus sign.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete